PMI offers a variety of quality, scientifically substantiated smoke-free products that are much better choices than continued smoking. Our vision is that our smoke-free products will one day replace cigarettes.
1. Cigarette smoking causes serious diseases and is addictive. Without question, the best decision any smoker can make is to quit tobacco and nicotine use altogether.
2. Minors should not use tobacco or nicotine in any form.
3. PMI’s smoke-free products are for adults who would otherwise continue to smoke or use other nicotine products.
4. We do not offer PMI’s smoke-free products to people who have never used tobacco or nicotine products or who have quit using tobacco and nicotine products. Our smoke-free products are not alternatives to quitting and are not designed as cessation aids.
5. PMI’s smoke-free products are not risk free and contain nicotine, which is addictive. Switching to a smoke-free product is, however, a better choice than continuing to smoke.
6. We support our adult smoke-free product users in their journey to full conversion through education and guidance.
7. For consumers to experience the benefits of smoke-free products, they must switch completely and abandon smoking permanently.
8. We inform consumers of all relevant safety information about our smoke-free products. Safety Warnings & Instructions Tobacco and Nicotine
Use of tobacco sticks
- Tobacco sticks used with IQOSTM and with lilTM devices contain nicotine, which is addictive.
- IQOS and lil are not risk-free. The best way to reduce tobacco-related health risks is to quit tobacco and nicotine use altogether.
- Some users of nicotine-containing products may experience abdominal pain, chest pain, choking sensation, cough, difficulty breathing, dizziness, dry mouth, dry throat, gingivitis, headache, malaise, nasal stuffiness, nausea, mouth irritation, palpitations, throat irritation, and vomiting.
- Nicotine-containing products should not be used by people who have or are at risk of heart disease, are diabetic, are epileptic, or are experiencing seizures.
- Nicotine-containing products should not be used during pregnancy or while breast-feeding. If you are pregnant, breast-feeding, or think you may be pregnant, you should quit tobacco and nicotine use altogether.
- Stopping smoking or switching to IQOS or lil and their respective tobacco sticks, or other nicotine-containing products may require the adjustment of the dosing of certain medicines (e.g. theophylline, clozapine, ropinirole).
- If you have questions about whether you should use IQOS and lil given an existing health condition, consult a health care professional.
- IQOS 3 DUOTM or earlier generation devices with HEETSTM sticks
- lil SOLIDTM with FiitTM tobacco sticks
Never use IQOS or lil devices with a cigarette or similar products. Doing so may cause injury.
Do not modify HEETS sticks and Fiit sticks sticks in any way or add any substance to HEETS sticks or Fiit sticks. Doing so may result in injury. Prior to use of a product, users should read the full Safety Warnings & Instructions, which contain important safety information about the use of the product. Safety Warnings & Instructions for IQOS 2.4+ Safety Warnings & Instructions for IQOS 3 Safety Warnings & Instructions for IQOS 3 Multi Safety Warnings & Instructions for IQOS 3 DUO Safety Warnings & Instructions for lil SOLID Battery Degradation
IQOS and lil SOLID devices, including holders, contain a lithium-ion battery. The lithium-ion battery in the devices is a consumable component that degrades with usage and age. This is a natural process common to all rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. As the battery ages, the active ingredients inside the battery become less capable of retaining energy, resulting in a permanent decrease in maximum battery capacity and usable energy. In addition, the active ingredients become less effective in delivering energy, resulting in a decrease of the battery’s ability to provide sufficient power for electronic device components to operate. As a result, where relevant, the duration of experience may appear to be shorter, the number of puffs or experiences with one full charge may appear to be fewer, the second consecutive use might be shorter or missing, or some device features.
The battery is a chemical system that requires certain temperature ranges during charge and discharge to work optimally and minimize battery capacity degradation over its lifetime. Although your device has a specific operating range within which the device will function, operating at the extreme ends of this range will degrade your battery faster. Your device comes with customized software to control the charging parameters in order to maximize the life of your device. These algorithms can support the longevity of your battery life, but they can still never fully mitigate the normal aging mechanisms of lithium batteries. High and low temperature operation of your device will accelerate the natural degradation of your battery. Even if you do not use your device the batteries contain chemical systems which can still degrade over time. In order to slow the battery degradation process, we recommend charging your device within the recommended temperature zone, not keeping it discharged for long periods of time and using the charging cables and power adaptors that come together with the device as per the user guides. Please read more about important information in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here. You will find consumer communication around the website and in other touchpoints that come from the following sources for IQOS products: IQOS provides cigarette-like satisfaction.*
* Source: 3 month clinical studies conducted in US and Japan with 160 adult smokers each under real conditions (ambulatory). Studies* showed that the satisfaction of those who switched completely to IQOS is comparable to those who continued to smoke cigarettes.
* Source: 3 month clinical studies conducted in US and Japan with 160 adult smokers each under real conditions (ambulatory). IQOS leaves significantly less stains on your teeth* than cigarettes. Important information: If teeth are already stained, switching to IQOS will not reverse the colour of those stains.
* Source: non-clinical laboratory study conducted in Switzerland with IQOS aerosol on human teeth and the most widely used dental composites. Contrary to real world conditions, teeth were not exposed to other staining substances which may influence the results. IQOS does not produce “tar”. IQOS heats tobacco instead of burning it, and produces a tobacco aerosol that is fundamentally different from cigarette smoke. IQOS is a better choice than cigarettes for you and all adult smokers who would otherwise continue to smoke. CIGARETTES PRODUCE TAR - IQOS DOESN’T
Tar is the residue from smoke after a cigarette is burned. IQOS does not produce tar because it heats tobacco instead of burning it. It generates an aerosol residue that is fundamentally different from tar.
Over 13.9 million adult smokers have stopped burning tobacco and started heating it with IQOS.*
*Source: PMI Financials or estimates, IQOS user panels and PMI Market Research. Status as of March 2021. IQOS users who have completely quit cigarettes and for whom PMI HeatSticks represent at least 70% of their past 7-day heated tobacco consumption. There are more than 19.1 million* IQOS users globally, of which 13.9 million** have completely quit cigarettes.
*Source: PMI Financials or estimates, IQOS user panels and PMI Market Research. Status as of March 2021. *IQOS users for whom HeatSticks represent at least 5% of their daily tobacco consumption over the past 7 days.
**IQOS users who have completely quit cigarettes and for whom PMI HeatSticks represent at least 70% of their past 7-day heated tobacco consumption. Thousands of adult smokers around the world convert to IQOS every day.*
*Source: Status as of March 2021 Exclusive Heat-Not-Burn users that are using PMI HeatSticks for at least 70% of their past-7 days heated tobacco consumption. PMI Financials or estimates, IQOS user panels and PMI Market Research. Every day, thousands of adult smokers around the world stop burning tobacco and start heating it with IQOS.*
*Source: Status as of March 2021 Exclusive Heat-Not-Burn users that are using PMI HeatSticks for at least 70% of their past-7 days heated tobacco consumption. PMI Financials or estimates, IQOS user panels and PMI Market Research. The majority of smokers who switch to IQOS completely quit cigarettes.*
*Source: PMI Financials or estimates, IQOS user panels and PMI Market Research IQOS is the #1 heated tobacco product.*
* Source: PMI global estimate of total In-Market Sales of Heated Tobacco Units as of February 2021. (excluding China and US). You will find consumer communication around the website and in other touchpoints that come from the following sources for lil products: lil SOLID produces less smell than cigarettes.*
*Source: Study conducted in Russia with 326 legal age smokers and heated tobacco users, September 2020. lil SOLID leaves less lingering odor in the air and on my surroundings than cigarettes.*
*Source: Study conducted in Russia with 326 legal age smokers and heated tobacco users, September 2020. lil SOLID leaves less lingering odor on my hands, hair and clothes than cigarettes.*
*Source: Study conducted in Russia with 326 legal age smokers and heated tobacco users, September 2020.